Sunday, July 31, 2011

Old Postcards from New York City to Back Home #18: Herald Square, 1909

'Tis been a while since we posted any "Old Postcards from New York," almost a year actually. The last one was back on 09/14/09. I recently obtained just a few more, so I'll share them over the next few weeks. It'll kinda take the place of the "King's Views of New York" for now I guess.

This first one is really great...it's 99 years old. I paid $1.oo for it.

Herald Square, NYC 1909 (Postcard)(Front)

Herald Square, NYC 1909 (Postcard)(Reverse)
(Images via: NYCDreamin Archives)

Herald Square, N.Y. City, the card reads on the front. And at the bottom, you can see faintly, it says "C. 1909 by Geo. P. Hall & Son, N.Y.

Mailed to:
Mrs. J.P. Turner [?]
St. Peter, MN

Postmark:
03/10/11

Card Reads:
New York - March 10, (19)11 - Dear Mother, I am at Minnie's today, came here yesterday, went out to Bronx Park and saw all kinds of animals in afternoon.Going to Fort Totten[?] this afternoon. Minnie has such a nice big boy. They are all well and happy. She sends greetings. Love to all, Lorinda[?] (I cant quite make out that name...)

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com