Saturday, May 14, 2011

05/13/11 Hey! Ho! Let's Go! The Minneapolis Ramones Mania Show!

Ramones Mania 2011 @ Lee's Liquor Lounge, Minneapolis, MN
(Images and video: NYCDreamin Archives)

05-13-11 Lees Liquor Lounge - Ramones Mania - Mpls, MN

Having last attended in 2008, just days after starting his blog actually - and after having had to miss the 2009 and 2010 editions for various reasons, I was back at Lee's Liquor Lounge, (seen above in the shadow of the IDS Building) in Minneapolis last evening for the 2011 Ramones Mania Cancer Benefit show.

I was solo for this one - the Gorgeous One chose to skip this one as she had to work early this morning. So me and my trusty Nikon headed out just after dinner and arrived at Lee's about 7:45pm, just minutes before the first band was scheduled to go on. I lingered around on the sidewalk for a bit, having a smoke, and was approached by a guy who, first, asked me for a cigarette, and second, introduced himself as the shows' emcee and main promoter, DJ Rock the Monkey (he actually used his real name but I've forgotten - Dan maybe? Sorry dude!) - anyway - we smoked and chatted for a few minutes, I told him that my Mom had passed from Cancer in early 2004 and I appreciated him doing this each year as a way to raise money for research and remember those loved ones (including two of the Ramones) who have been taken from us by this horrid, incurable disease. A few minutes later we stubbed out our cigarettes and stepped inside the club. The asking price at the door was $6 - $10 - I threw the guy a $10 and after having my hand stamped with a huge green star, grabbed a soda and a small bag of chips at the bar and found a seat close to the stage, sat down, began munching away and waiting for something to happen.

A brief bit of information about how this show runs before we proceed. Each year, several local, Twin Cities area bands and artists are booked for this event, each asked to come up with a brief (15-20 minute) set of Ramones material. Each band gets up, sets up quickly (about 10 - 15 mintes between each band), blasts for their alloted time, then, quickly, gets off the stage, making way for the next group. The evening moves along at a pretty quick pace and there isn't much time to be bored between groups.

Just after 8:00pm a young lady stepped up on the stage and began fidgeting about with her guitar while a guy made a few adjustments to the drum kit set up on the smallish stage. A few minutes later, DJ Rock The Monkey was on stage, welcoming everyone to the show and introducing the first act, "The Emilys," featuring the afore mentioned young lady and drummer guy.




I flmed several videos of each of the first 8 bands to play the show, shooting around 40 videos, too many to put them all here. I'll list the songs by each artist and each song will be linked to the video on Youtube - you can watch most of them there by clicking the song titles. We'll feature one from each band - here we go...

The Emilys
I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend




I Remember You (Soundcheck version)/ Oh, Oh, I Love You So/I Remember You/ *Unreleased Song

Gotta like that! Proof that there is hope for the future of rock and roll and our youth. Well, some of them anyway. Keep rockin' Emily!

Next up were "Poor Failey" - who came out and just straight-up BLASTED their way through their set...I love these guys!

Poor Failey
Gimme, Gimme Shock Treatment




Judy Is A Punk/ What's Your Game/ *Unidentified/ Time Bomb/ Today Your Love, Tomorrow The World

Bobloblaw

Introduced as "Not A Real Band" but they sure sounded like one.

Making Monsters For My Friends




Somebody Put Something In My Drink/ Cretin Hop/ Animal Boy/ Rockaway Beach

Crashmatic
Chinese Rocks




Intro-Gimme, Gimme Shock Treatment/ Cretin Hop/ Rockaway Beach

Iused to work with the guitarist/vocalist of this band, Dan, about ten years ago at a day job where he'd tell me, "You gotta check out my buddies' band," which turned out to be Flipp, to this day one of my favorie bands ever. He used to do some roadie work for them. Anyway, he has his own band now and they've been playing around the Twin Cities for a few years now...I never did get to say "Hi" last night...if you read this Dan, you guys did great! It was good to see you there. And was that Flipp guitarist Chia Karaoke hanging with you guys? Kinda looked like him but I wasn't sure...

Invasion Earth-Capitol Guitar All-Stars

I think these guys play this show every year...they certainly have the right attitude. They got the people jumpin and pogo'in just a bit too!

California Sun




Surfin' Bird/ Rockaway Beach/ Today Your Love, Tomorrow The World

Modern Day Tragedy
Carbona Not Glue




Judy Is A Punk/Oh, Oh I Love Her So/ Indian Giver/ Wart Hog

Meat Raffle Road
Beat On The Brat

You're gonna love this...or not. I did. After a bit longer than normal set change due to what appeared to be, from my vantage point, the keyboard, these guys and gal got a great response for their super-creative interpretations of Ramones classics from the crowd, which was now actually filling the bar quite nicely, it was great to see such a good turn-out...




I Don't Wanna Go Down To The Basement/ I Wanna Be Well/ Pinhead

They could have played a bit longer if you ask me - great stuff!

Next up were the final band I'd see for the evening, although I didn't quite know this just yet. But it would become evident just minutes from when Plate 'O Shrimp took the stage for their horned-up material...

Plate 'O Shrimp & Friends
Long Way To Germany




Sweet Little Ramona



...and with that, nearly 3 hours later, in the middle of "Sweet Little Ramona," my camera battery died - can't blame it, it got quite a workout. I was also out of cigarettes by this point. It was nearly 11:30pm and I'd been up since 4:30am, so I was getting a bit tired as well and had a decent drive home ahead of me, AND I was still hungry, so I decided to call it an evening and head for home.

Unfortunately, this meant missing the final bands: Surley Jones, GST with Natalie Lovejoy, Fret Rattles, and the Sex Rays. But I did have a blast catching the 8 bands I did see - this is always a fun event and the 2011 edition proved to be no exception. By the time I left, Lee's was packed and everyone seemed to be having a blast...enjoying the legend and legendary music of the little band that rose from the gutters of the Bowery in New York City to became a world-wide sensation and raising money for Cancer charities to boot...how can you go wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com